Microsoft FUD Campaign (was Re: Does anyone on thid list Knows how to read spanish?)

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Aug 1 16:32:24 PDT 2001

http://babelfish.altavista.com/
You can get a rough translation with Babelfish.  Reading through their first
three sections, some of their reasons against Linux are true, but much of it
sounds like their FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) campaign that they were
doing when Linux began to get mainstream industry attention.

First they ignore you,
then they laugh at you,
then they fight you,        <--- We are here.
then you win.
-Ghandi

For years Linux was ignored and laughed at by the industry, including
Microsoft.  When Linux began to gain attention by the industry and
wallstreet, Microsoft began this FUD campaign spreading half-truths and some
outright lies in an attempt to scare people away.  Recently, Microsoft
realized that Open Source will be a serious threat to their monopoly
position, because for the first time in history they are not able to buy out
or undercut to destroy competition.  They are now fighting hard in a massive
PR/lobbying campaign, calling Linux "Communist", "anti-American", "bad for
business", "bad for intellectual property", etc.

Let us hope that Ghandi was right.

----- Original Message ----- First they ignore you, then they laugh at you,
then they fight you, then you win.
-Ghandi