Xwindows help

mmn mmn at inix.com
Thu Sep 21 10:38:58 PDT 2000

aloha

I booted up my linux box and hit "startx". Instead of booting right into X
I ended up back in command line mode with this error message

Error loading keymap usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/compiled/server-0.xkm
Couldnít load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
_FontTranSocketUNIXConnect: Canít connect: errno = 111
failed to set default font path ëunix/::-1í
Fatal server error:
could not open default font ëfixedí
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kil or server shutdown).

 I went into
usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/compiled/
to discover that there was only a README file. It said that the.xkm file
usually sotred there is a temporary one. No idea what all this means-- as
in how it all applies to how X windows functons.  I had X windows up and
running fine before. I tried to install some apps using rpm  al of them
off CDROMS. Got some installed. Other like Gimp and star Office failed to
install. I shutdown the machine for the day using

shutdown -h now

Started it up today to take a closer look at the install probs to discover
that X wonít start up.

An odd thing that did happend during installation was right after I picked
the screen resoluton the machine rebooted itself. The installl continued
perfectly afterwords. But a reboot like that isn't mentioned in the
manual. I wonder if that might be the cause.

I'm considering reinstalling everything if there is on way to recover X.
Just like to find out what this error message is and a way of avoiding it
if possible.

thank you.
mathisha

My system:
P2 200 Mhz runnnig Mandrake 7.1 Complete(boxed set) using KDE
the scsi drives:
conner cfp21075  2.14GB
Sony Cdrom cdu -76S
adaptec aha-294X pci scsi controler