Xwindows help

Chris Wong wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Thu Sep 21 10:54:44 PDT 2000

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, mmn wrote:

> I booted up my linux box and hit "startx". Instead of booting right
> into X I ended up back in command line mode with this error message
>
> Error loading keymap usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/compiled/server-0.xkm
> Couldnít load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
> _FontTranSocketUNIXConnect: Canít connect: errno = 111
> failed to set default font path ëunix/::-1í
> Fatal server error:
> could not open default font ëfixedí
> X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kil or server shutdown).

it's not a keymap error I think. I think your fontpaths are fubared (tm)

> install. I shutdown the machine for the day using
>
> shutdown -h now
>
> Started it up today to take a closer look at the install probs to
> discover that X wonít start up.

Generally, if Linux doesn't work, a reboot doesn't fix it. Kernel messages
on boot are only for non-graphical things anyhow.

> An odd thing that did happend during installation was right after I
> picked the screen resoluton the machine rebooted itself. The installl
> continued perfectly afterwords. But a reboot like that isn't mentioned
> in the manual. I wonder if that might be the cause.

Sounds like a hardware error.

> I'm considering reinstalling everything if there is on way to recover
> X. Just like to find out what this error message is and a way of
> avoiding it if possible.

WEll, you could just reinstall the XFree86* packages. Might be a good idea
anyhow. I'm not too sure what happened to your fonts or why it rebooted.

> My system:
> P2 200 Mhz runnnig Mandrake 7.1 Complete(boxed set) using KDE

???? Ummm... P2 200? If I recall correctly, didn't the P2 start at 233? No
WONDER you have problems. :)

> graphic info
> matrox graphics
> chip type mga 2064w b2r2
> 2mb vram
> adapter string MGA millenniumj
> 85htz 1024*768

Hmmm... Matrox tends to be well supported under XFree. I've had the best
results with Matroxi(?)

Try to reinstall the rpm packages. No real point in reinstalling if that
doesn't work.

I don't have a startx output to refer to so this is all a guess.