Corel ATA/66

Jim Roby jroby at aloha.net
Wed Sep 13 11:44:57 PDT 2000

What I have run into of late are 6mo old Dell and Gateway that have 33
mainboards and a promise 66 card running the drive,my solution was to
put the linux disk on the board,rather than the card.I can't feel the speed
difference.

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Warren Togami wrote:

> The only way to do so is to force a boot in ATA/33 mode, download, unpack
> and compile a kernel with your ATA/66 motherboard chipset support and
> install that custom kernel.  The kernel included in Linux-Mandrake 7.1 has
> this kernel patch installed.  You can find it here
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick
>
> Unfortunately, the linux kernel configuration, compilation and installation
> process to do this is quite complicated, and I am not quite sure how to
> explain in a single e-mail message.  Anyone else care to step in?
>
> Alternatively, you can simply boot in ATA/33 all the time by adding certain
> parameters to your lilo boot.  You will need these parameters to boot into
> the kernel for initial Corel linux installation.  This is probably easier.
>
> For instructions on finding these parameters, look at this site.
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/other-formats/html_single/U
> ltra-DMA.html
> Section 5.1 about the Promise Ultra33 should apply to similar add-on
> chipsets.  In my experience, any Promise or HPT (High Point Technologies)
> ATA/66 chipset on your motherboard should work with these instructions
>
> A few more things to note...
> 1. These addresses will probably change if you add or swap cards in your
> computer.
> 2. The Corel installer probably can't get you to a command line to look at
> your /proc/pci.  Try a Redhat Linux 6.2 boot disk.
> 3. I don't know what chipset your ATA/66 controller is using, so I could be
> completely wrong in these instructions.
>
> Warren Togami
> warren at togami.com
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to luau as: jroby at ALOHA.NET

"The Constitution may not be perfect, but it's a helluva lot better that what
 the government's using these days." - anonymous