Corel ATA/66

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Sep 13 01:43:41 PDT 2000

The only way to do so is to force a boot in ATA/33 mode, download, unpack
and compile a kernel with your ATA/66 motherboard chipset support and
install that custom kernel.  The kernel included in Linux-Mandrake 7.1 has
this kernel patch installed.  You can find it here
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick

Unfortunately, the linux kernel configuration, compilation and installation
process to do this is quite complicated, and I am not quite sure how to
explain in a single e-mail message.  Anyone else care to step in?

Alternatively, you can simply boot in ATA/33 all the time by adding certain
parameters to your lilo boot.  You will need these parameters to boot into
the kernel for initial Corel linux installation.  This is probably easier.

For instructions on finding these parameters, look at this site.
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/other-formats/html_single/U
ltra-DMA.html
Section 5.1 about the Promise Ultra33 should apply to similar add-on
chipsets.  In my experience, any Promise or HPT (High Point Technologies)
ATA/66 chipset on your motherboard should work with these instructions

A few more things to note...
1. These addresses will probably change if you add or swap cards in your
computer.
2. The Corel installer probably can't get you to a command line to look at
your /proc/pci.  Try a Redhat Linux 6.2 boot disk.
3. I don't know what chipset your ATA/66 controller is using, so I could be
completely wrong in these instructions.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com