General Observations

Jeff Mings jeffm at lava.net
Sat Nov 11 16:15:09 PST 2000

     I'm new to LUAU (about 6months), but have been consistently
attending the meetings, which I really enjoy.  Aside from Deven and
Viata, I'm the only person I know who consistently works in linux at
work and at home, booting into windows only occasionally.  Meeting with
others who "get it" is most refreshing.  I would miss the interaction
with other linux users, and to a lesser extent, the mailing list.  On
the other hand, the admins have personally shared their frustration with
me about the apathy of members, the lack of assistance and the way in
which the group isn't being used to truly "evangelize" linux and

unices.  The straw that broke the camel's back was the expo.  I was one
of only 8 or 9 members who stopped by the LUAU booth, HUNDREDs of
dollars in debt were accrued, and the admins did all of the work.  I was
surprised by how grateful they were when I loaned a piece of hardware -
simply because nobody else came through even in that small manner.
   I'm not one of those who have only become concerned after hearing the
recent announcements, but like many of you, I don't have much time to
become part of the solution; my wife would scream bloody murder if I
added LUAU admin work to my already overflowing plate.
  I will sorely miss LUAU if it really goes away.

-Jeff