[LUAU] hosts.allow

George Toft LinuxAdvocate at iname.com
Sun May 30 00:08:01 PDT 1999

David & Max wrote:

> >Since the Class of Network addresses 192.168.y.z are designated private
> >IP addresses, they will not be routed across the Internet.
> >
> >So you're safe, unless someone hooks into your home lan cabling and sets
> >up a computer with an IP in the 192.168.0.x range.
>
> Yes....I understand that 192.168.y.z is for private network.  But I've just
> tried a funny experiment on my web server.  On my http server, I have
> specifically allowed only 192.168.y.z and 127.0.0.z to access my server.  I
> then use http://192.168.0.4 (my http server address) from my win95 box
> (192.168.0.1).  It worked OK.  But when I use
> http://my_httpserver_internet_IP/, it still worked fine.  Because my 95 box
> is being masq'ed, would my http server see that the connection is coming
> from the address 192.168.0.1 or the ip of my Linux box? ( you understand
> what I mean?  if the server thinks that the address is coming from
> 192.168.0.1, then it makes sense that it will work fine.  But if the server
> thinks that the address is coming from my linux box('coz of the masq'ed
> network), then it should not work, right?) How come both ways I've tried
> worked?

Look at the httpd logs to see where the page went.  On
my RH 5.2 web server, whenever I connect from a LAN
machine, the logs show the LAN IP, even though I use
the FQDN.

Also, /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny have nothing
to do with your web server.  httpd is a daemon that
monitors port 80, and inetd monitors the ports in
/etc/inetd.conf.  You could stop inetd completely, and
your web server will still work.

--
George Toft    http://gtoft.dynip.com/LinuxAdvocate/

 Consider Linux - Fast, stable, scalable, priced
  right and available with commercial support.
--
-    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net