[LUAU] hosts.allow

David & Max Buddy at Mail-me.com
Sat May 29 22:17:52 PDT 1999

>Since the Class of Network addresses 192.168.y.z are designated private
>IP addresses, they will not be routed across the Internet.
>
>So you're safe, unless someone hooks into your home lan cabling and sets
>up a computer with an IP in the 192.168.0.x range.

Yes....I understand that 192.168.y.z is for private network.  But I've just
tried a funny experiment on my web server.  On my http server, I have
specifically allowed only 192.168.y.z and 127.0.0.z to access my server.  I
then use http://192.168.0.4 (my http server address) from my win95 box
(192.168.0.1).  It worked OK.  But when I use
http://my_httpserver_internet_IP/, it still worked fine.  Because my 95 box
is being masq'ed, would my http server see that the connection is coming
from the address 192.168.0.1 or the ip of my Linux box? ( you understand
what I mean?  if the server thinks that the address is coming from
192.168.0.1, then it makes sense that it will work fine.  But if the server
thinks that the address is coming from my linux box('coz of the masq'ed
network), then it should not work, right?) How come both ways I've tried
worked?

Please clarify if you understand what I mean.

-Max

--
-    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net