[LUAU] hosts.allow

David & Max Buddy at Mail-me.com
Sun May 30 00:58:45 PDT 1999

>Look at the httpd logs to see where the page went.  On
>my RH 5.2 web server, whenever I connect from a LAN
>machine, the logs show the LAN IP, even though I use
>the FQDN.

Good point.  I just found out the page went to my local LAN, which is where
I'm requesting the page from.  It now seems to me that even though I used a
"regular internet web address" that points to my local LAN machine, as long
as I'm calling from my local LAN, the allow statement in my web server's
conf file still doesn't prevent me from accessing the page.

>Also, /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny have nothing
>to do with your web server.  httpd is a daemon that
>monitors port 80, and inetd monitors the ports in
>/etc/inetd.conf.  You could stop inetd completely, and
>your web server will still work.

Yeap....you may have misunderstood what I said.  What I meant by
"specifically allow" in my last Email was referring to the "allow"
directive in my access.conf file.  That directive, I believe, acts like the
hosts.allow file in Linux.  Anyway, thanks for sharing your knowledge with me.

-Max

--
-    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net