[LUAU] hosts.allow

Myles Uyema myles at uyema.net
Sat May 29 21:39:30 PDT 1999

On Sat, 29 May 1999, David & Max wrote:

> I have a question about hosts.allow.  If I set the hosts.allow to allow
> hosts with ip 192.168.0.X and if somebody else (outside of my home LAN)
> were to telnet to my box with this ip 192.168.0.X, then would he/she be
> able to by-pass the hosts.allow coz of its ip that "looks" similar to the
> ip I host.allow'ed?

Since the Class of Network addresses 192.168.y.z are designated private
IP addresses, they will not be routed across the Internet.

So you're safe, unless someone hooks into your home lan cabling and sets
up a computer with an IP in the 192.168.0.x range.

Myles

--
-    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net