[LUAU] LUAU Sub Group mailing lists (LONG)

John W Christian jwchris at juno.com
Sat Mar 27 14:26:38 PST 1999

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999 18:05:16 -1000 (HST) Jimen Ching <jching at flex.com>
writes:
>On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, John W Christian wrote:
>>>Is this how the webpage has been updated all this time?  Isn't this
>>>kind of inefficient?  This is probably the first thing that should
>be
>>>changed.
>>Jimen, if you had attended any of the meetings [in the past 6 mos]
>>YOU WOULD HAVE KNOWN THIS and probably fixed it  .... ;-)
>
>I'm one of those who can't attend a Tuesday night meeting.  I work
>till
>6pm.  Then I go home to eat.  By the time I get to MIC, half the
>meeting
>is over.

1-The meeting [supposedly] starts @ 6PM; but normailly starts after
6:30PM
2-It's called a Pizza Meeting [because you can eat Pizza & have drinks
for $6]
3- You can make it if you want to [work & eating are no excuses {sicne it
will
not affect either...}].  ;-)

>>Jimen, that is what we are attempting to do GOT SUGGESTIONS?
>>GIVE THEM...
>
>My vision of a user group has always been an entity that provides a
>service to the members.  Something like a community service.  Some
>people
>come to the group for help, others come to provide help.  The purpose
>of
>the entity is to provide an environment where this exchange can
>happen.
>
>To give an example, I like that dynip service.  But I don't know if
>I'm
>willing to pay $100 a year for it.  If I knew how they did it, I could
>write the software and someone could provide the host.  Thus, LUAU
>would
>provide a service to its members.  Maybe we can charge a small fee to
>use
>it.  A lot less than $100.  I believe the original leader of LUAU had
>similar idea.  Something about being an ISP.
GOOD!!  Let's talk about it at the meeting;and break & eat Pizza
together...

>>>I don't know how you could interpret what I said above to this.
>>Jimen the tone of your messages have led to this.... especially the
>>statement regarding keeping it in your Brain   WAS A FLAME
>
>Odd.  In another message, I said:
>
>>>Here's another.  Put all that stuff in your head online.  I'm sure
>your
>>>head can hold lots of information.  But unless the members get
>access to
>>>them, they can't contribute.  Note, by 'in your head', I mean those
>>>things that are related to LUAU which you have on your computer or
>your
>>>desk.  I don't mean literally.
>
>And you said:
>
>>Nod, point taken.  THINGS must be explained in more detail ....  But
>then
>>you will have to read my verbose emails....   ;-)
>
>I thought you agreed, but now you say it is a flame?

the use of the paragraph with the word Brain is inflammatory... [Though I
do
agree with what you are attempting to say {& the direction you would like
go with that statement}].

>Sometimes, only a verbose email can clarify a point.  Some things are
>unavoidable.
Well, I would like to think so.... but I have my detractors on my
longwindedness...

>>>You will need a single source for members
>>>to access group resources.  This mailing list, for example, is not
>>>hosted by members of LUAU, is it?
>>ACTUALLY, IT IS.... and it can be distributed [which is transparent
>>the user...]
>
>Are you sure you meant to say this?  The LUAU mailing list is ran on a
>distributed system?  Not only that, but on systems that individual
>members
>have at home?  All the members?
It can if we set it up so.  Of course the individual member would have to

agree on using their box[es]; but it can be done...

>My point was that LUAU information should not be hosted on a
>distributed
>network of computers.  One of the complaints about the WWW is that you
>can't go to any one place to find what you want.  You have to search
>for
>it.  But you have to search for a search engine before you can search
>for
>what you want.  This is very inconvient for the users.  And for a user
>group, it is very inconvient for the members.  You don't want to give
>people the run-around.
I may be unclear on this, but is there not programs made to access
information from other boxes without having the user go to the varying
boxes for particular information?

>>You can join the Organization Group if you like as well [by now I
>>believe you have made suggestions for all of the groups...  maybe you
>>should participate in them all?...]
>
>Personally, I didn't see the point in openning so many groups right
>from
>the start.  I see the webpage as the biggest problem.  If that is
>fixed,
>it might solve some of the problems that these groups are supposed to
>solve.  So I've joined the webpage list.  I'll see how that goes
>before I
>join these other ones.
The purposes are:
1- to get the NEW people involved
2- to help each other learn
3- to get it done hopefully faster by brainstorming the issue
4- to help keep one person from going way off track [& bruising one's ego
     on a misconception]  I read rbraun email & while we have some
     profivcient Lone Ranger [hired guns, whatever...] a small group can
help
     in the direction & improvement of the one. [Like can I think of
every little
     thing to do.... sorry I am not God...].

>>That is why Chris is a coordinator for LUAU, not President.  If each
>>group decides they want a leader appointed, that is up to them to
>>decide.
>
>Coordinator, leader, president, dictator, whatever...
>
>You can call yourself 'The Omnipotent Being Of Splendor' for all I
>care.
>
>>Again, I bring up that if you 2 want a vote for a Leader, we can
>bring
>>it to one .....
>
>I was just giving some suggestions and criticism.  I thought someone
>was
>asking for them, and no one was speaking up, so I did.  Somehow, this
>is a
>mutiny?  Before we have a coup, let's try compromising first, shall
>we?
Nod,

If attempting to effect change, like we both say, list it in detail.
Maybe a
table of contents or bullet format on what we are saying [to effect
change]
may be a good idea...  Change can be brouhgt about with the wise use of
words.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
--
    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net