[LUAU] LUAU Sub Group mailing lists (LONG)

John W Christian jwchris at juno.com
Fri Mar 26 03:18:38 PST 1999

SNIP
>I don't have any idea either. We're threading unknown waters here. I
>hoped we are capable but sometimes one just doesn't know.
SNIP
Chris, quit fretting.... you sound too unsure...

SNIP
>That is the webpage's domain. I really don't want to be working on
>that. I'm stretched DAMNED thin as it is, and I'm worried about the big
>picture as it stands.
SNIP
TOO WORRIED......

>What are you implying by this? That I'm withholding information? I
>have ideas yes, but they aren't finished ideas and I don't implement
things
>without having the ideas finished. Yes, I have a vision for LUAU, but
>as time goes on, it constantly changes. Furthermore, it's MY vision, not

>YOUR vision, not necessarily anybody else's.
When trying to formulate uncompleted ideas, it is best to say what you
know
or have come up with, to allow others to [possibly] complete the idea
[AKA
BRAINSTORMING]  Don't be afraid of incomplete ideas.... SAY IT !!! and
the
the rest happen....  And Chris, its OUR VISION [all of us who attend] not
his,
or mine, or yours [or anyone's for that matter..]

>One vision is clear enough... it is not just ONE person's vision.
YEA,  you see the light.... [SEE PREVIOUS NOTE ABOVE...]

>> You have to provide a foundation where it is easy to make suggestions,
>> before you can request suggestions.  How do you do this?  Again, I
don't
>> know enough about the capability of LUAU to make any suggestions.
>
>You make mention of knowing the capabilities of LUAU. Perhaps I'm
>thinking of the statement wrong. I'm interpreting now as you don't know
if
>we're technically competant enough?
WRONG WAY TO GO... no hissy fits please...  Misunderstandings are
beginning to abound....

SNIP
>> 1.  Net access: how much bandwidth does LUAU have to the net?
>
>That depends on what your definition of LUAU is. I personally prefer
>to think of LUAU as a distributed system... the total bandwidth of all
>the users of LUAU. If you're looking for a single entity, then I'm
afraid
>you can't find it (maybe you can, I'm not looking that hard)

VERY GOOD POINT, coming to the meetings would have clarified this too

>> 2.  Computers: how much cpu power is available?
>
>Again... if you're looking at the group, we'd have a nice sized Beowolf
>cluster. But, classically enough, we have problems with comunication.
HUH? Chris, have you been hiding that system from me....  ;-)  ?

>> 3.  Equipment: are there any special devices available to LUAU?
>None that I know of.
But possible with corporate & organization donors......

>> 4.  Knowledge: what is the knowledge level of contributing members?
>
>Isn't that a rather hard question to quantify?
The question should be:  In which area of Linux are you referring to? And

which flavor, version combined with which applications?  And are they
commercial or public domain?  And on what H/W platforms are your
running each specific flavor with what peripherals?  And what devices
are each box attempting communication with other boxes?  ETC, ETC ETC.

>> 5.  Leadership: what is the direction of LUAU?
>>
>> It is odd that leadership is listed as a resource, but it really is.
>> Organizations and groups (from my experience) don't move through
>>votes or  agreements, they are herded by a leader.  If the members
don't
>>like the direction, they find a new leader (or convince the leader to
>>change).  I know lots of people don't like to hear this, but it is
true.

>Yes... but the last time i tried to herd, I had a revolt. I'm trying to
>act as a coordinator not as a leader. I try not to become to dictorial
>(tho' it's necessary sometimes just to get things done. I've
>misgivings about this model actually... in some senses it would be
>easier just to get things done)
>
>Right now, I'm trying to setup a system of controlled anarchy. Which
>is the problem.
Chris, those are Romanistique words you are using; and it will not fly
with LUAU members....
CONTROL IS AN EVIL THING [look at MS...] our group right now is Swiss
democratic [where all {men only in Switzerland} vote {but you get the
idea}
;-)  ].  If both Chris & Jimen want a leader, then let the LUAU members
call for a vote.  And let's get some nominations and the like ....

ALL THOSE IN FAVOR OF A CHANGE TO VOTE FOR NEW LEADERSHIP
CAST YOUR OPINIONS NOW

[and IF, by chance, that is not what you two intended.... SAY SO NOW....]

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
--
    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net