[LUAU] LUAU Sub Group mailing lists (LONG)

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Fri Mar 26 20:05:16 PST 1999

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, John W Christian wrote:
>>Is this how the webpage has been updated all this time?  Isn't this
>>kind of inefficient?  This is probably the first thing that should be
>>changed.
>Jimen, if you had attended any of the meetings [in the past 6 mos]
>YOU WOULD HAVE KNOWN THIS and probably fixed it  .... ;-)

I'm one of those who can't attend a Tuesday night meeting.  I work till
6pm.  Then I go home to eat.  By the time I get to MIC, half the meeting
is over.

>Jimen, that is what we are attempting to do GOT SUGGESTIONS?
>GIVE THEM...

My vision of a user group has always been an entity that provides a
service to the members.  Something like a community service.  Some people
come to the group for help, others come to provide help.  The purpose of
the entity is to provide an environment where this exchange can happen.

To give an example, I like that dynip service.  But I don't know if I'm
willing to pay $100 a year for it.  If I knew how they did it, I could
write the software and someone could provide the host.  Thus, LUAU would
provide a service to its members.  Maybe we can charge a small fee to use
it.  A lot less than $100.  I believe the original leader of LUAU had a
similar idea.  Something about being an ISP.

And you said:

>Nod, point taken.  THINGS must be explained in more detail ....  But then
>you will have to read my verbose emails....   ;-)

I thought you agreed, but now you say it is a flame?

Sometimes, only a verbose email can clarify a point.  Some things are
unavoidable.

>>You will need a single source for members
>>to access group resources.  This mailing list, for example, is not
>>hosted by members of LUAU, is it?
>ACTUALLY, IT IS.... and it can be distributed [which is transparent to
>the user...]

Are you sure you meant to say this?  The LUAU mailing list is ran on a
distributed system?  Not only that, but on systems that individual members
have at home?  All the members?

My point was that LUAU information should not be hosted on a distributed
network of computers.  One of the complaints about the WWW is that you
can't go to any one place to find what you want.  You have to search for
it.  But you have to search for a search engine before you can search for
what you want.  This is very inconvient for the users.  And for a user
group, it is very inconvient for the members.  You don't want to give
people the run-around.

>You can join the Organization Group if you like as well [by now I
>believe you have made suggestions for all of the groups...  maybe you
>should participate in them all?...]

Personally, I didn't see the point in openning so many groups right from
the start.  I see the webpage as the biggest problem.  If that is fixed,
it might solve some of the problems that these groups are supposed to
solve.  So I've joined the webpage list.  I'll see how that goes before I
join these other ones.

>That is why Chris is a coordinator for LUAU, not President.  If each
>group decides they want a leader appointed, that is up to them to
>decide.

Coordinator, leader, president, dictator, whatever...

You can call yourself 'The Omnipotent Being Of Splendor' for all I care.

>Again, I bring up that if you 2 want a vote for a Leader, we can bring
>it to one .....

I was just giving some suggestions and criticism.  I thought someone was
asking for them, and no one was speaking up, so I did.  Somehow, this is a
mutiny?  Before we have a coup, let's try compromising first, shall we?

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org

--
    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net