[LUAU] LUAU Sub Group mailing lists (LONG)

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Fri Mar 26 00:06:39 PST 1999

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Chris Wong wrote:
>As it stands, the webpage is the highest priority. I have to go and bug
>somebody for some files again.

Is this how the webpage has been updated all this time?  Isn't this kind
of inefficient?  This is probably the first thing that should be changed.

>> Here's another.  Put all that stuff in your head online.  I'm sure your
>> head can hold lots of information.  But unless the members get access to
>> them, they can't contribute.  Note, by 'in your head', I mean those things
>> that are related to LUAU which you have on your computer or your desk.  I
>> don't mean literally.
>What are you implying by this? That I'm withholding information? I have
>ideas yes, but they aren't finished ideas and I don't implement things
>without having the ideas finished. Yes, I have a vision for LUAU, but as
>time goes on, it constantly changes. Furthermore, it's MY vision, not YOUR
>vision, not necessarily anybody else's.

Maybe I got the wrong impression, but I thought you were the 'president'
of LUAU.  If you're not the president, then I apologize.  But if you are,
then I think the members of the group have a right to know what your
vision is.  And, of course, visions change.  The only way visions don't
change is if you can predict the future.  It also doesn't have to be
impressive.  Knowing what LUAU stands for can bring people together.

>> I don't know enough about the capability of LUAU to make any
>> suggestions.
>I'm interpreting now as you don't know if we're technically competant
>enough?

I don't know how you could interpret what I said above to this.

>That depends on what your definition of LUAU is. I personally prefer to
>think of LUAU as a distributed system... the total bandwidth of all the
>users of LUAU.

I do not believe this counts.  You will need a single source for members
to access group resources.  This mailing list, for example, is not hosted
by members of LUAU, is it?  What other services are provided by LUAU?
That, basically, is what I'm trying to guage.

>> 4.  Knowledge: what is the knowledge level of contributing members?
>Isn't that a rather hard question to quantify?

I gave an example.  I wasn't looking for a Stephen Hawkins.  I was looking
for an inventory of what our members can contribute, knowledge-wise.

>Yes... but the last time i tried to herd, I had a revolt. I'm trying to

Revolt?  Are you sure it wasn't just comments/suggestions for a new
direction?  A good leader is one who takes a group to where they want to
go, not drag them to some place s/he thinks they should end up.

>I don't really have anything to say... because my interests change from
>day to day... one day I'm into Samba, the next, X-Windows.

How are you into samba; configuration, programming, using?  What are you
interested in X Window?  Aren't you the one who setup the mailing lists?
That is something you can put down.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org

--