[LUAU] meeting

John W Christian jwchris at juno.com
Wed Mar 17 20:10:38 PST 1999

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999 17:05:06 -1000 "David C. Eason, Jr."
<deason at hawaii.edu> writes:
>Just an idea, perhaps the next meeting could be held on a Friday, or
>sometime during the week, so people who have night classes or work at
>night (such as myself) can attend.  If we mix up the meeting times,
>perhaps we can get more of a mix instead of the same people being able
>make it.  Just a thought.
>

>-Dave

Dave,

For most people tuesdays or thursdays are workable.  Not the beginning
[monday -
nobody shows], not the end [fridays - tgif - people have other things to
do than go to
a meeting], and the middle of the week [wednesdays - people would like to
veg out
{if possible}]

Also, Pizza meetings [Cyber-Pizza {1st Tuesday of the month},
Electronic-Pizza {2nd
Tuesday of the month, & Linux-Pizza {3rd Tuesday of the month}] are
scheduled in
that manner due to availability [without paying] for room access.
Exceptions are
allowed if advanced notice given [like when we may have a guest speaker -
barring
the room has not already been scheduled for usage by a paying customer...
 :-)  ]

BTW, I have night classes on Friday [presently] & its hard [of course] to
change one's
curriculum [as you well know  :-(  ].  For people from Maui, Kauai [or
the Big Islabd}
its hard to attend [and the same goes for people in Makaha, Wailua, Laie,
Kalama, etc.

When Ed tried mixing dates [& times] to see what got the biggest turnout;
& never got
more than a handful of people.  With a standard date & time, people can
plan their
schedules [almost months ahead].  And of course, not everyone will be
satisfied.

At least the MIC is more centrally located [for most of  the population
areas of Oahu]
that can normally [turnout] more people.  Ed's house also was not really
convenient
for many living in East Oahu, Windward & North Shore people [east of
Kahuku].  And
a lot of Leeward & North Shore people work in town too.

We could [probably] hold meetings on the fourth Friday of every month at
Turtle Bay out
in Kahuku  or at the Makaha Shores in Makaha or the Golf Club by Kalama;
but I do not
think you will have much of a turnout.....

One thing is for certain, November & December are LUAU Linux hibernation
months
when [hardly] anyone wants to meet & talk about Linux [let alone meet for
anything
else].  That the Pizza meeting people noted from fifteen years experience
for their
format [they also tried other dates & times & mixing them - and came up
with Tuesdays
as the biggest turnout date {thursdays as runner up - and that's how they
got Tuesdays
at the MIC for their meetings...}].

Please disagree; but last night we had 40 + people [forty signed in plus
those who did
not sign in] attending our meeting [versus 25 + at the first two pizza
meetings].  A far cry
from two to five people at Ed's house with mixed dates & times.  And we
are growing as
I write...

Plus we got the initial sign ups for five projects.  Chris will be
helping these groups
coordinate themselves to get projects done [like Web Page Updates...].
And if you missed
meetings, nothing prevents you from joining & working with the various
teams on your
interests.

Meetings are nice [and great to meet people {know the face behind the
email addres}], but
our business is done [primarily] by email [& informal get togethers are
helpful too...].

John

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
--
    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net