[LUAU] Thoughts...

bbraun at sparcy.synack.net bbraun at sparcy.synack.net
Wed Mar 3 08:48:00 PST 1999

On Tuesday, Mar 1999 at 20:44:23 Chris Wong wrote:

 | I thought things were moving forward a bit more? My impression is that
 | HURD was picking up... some support for XWindows.

 I havn't noticed many significant improvements.  Perhaps I havn't
 been paying enough attention.  HURD is at a good point for people
 knowlegable in OS' and like to play and get frustrated, but don't
 want to have to hack on the kernel source to do anything.
 One more step down the ladder of usable OS' is MIT's ExOS.  Nifty
 little microkernel os.  Not much support for anything last I looked.

 | >  NetBSD's packet filtering code is also much more efficient than Linux's.
 | >  The nicest thing about the BSD's is the license though.  I feel dirty
 | >  playing with GPL code these days.
 |
 | Huh? Really? I like both licenses and both have their points... My primary
 | concern is propietary software vendors deciding that they want to
 | modify and then sell my code. Take BIND. My understanding is that Oceanic
 | hacked up BIND to do their levels of service thing. THe fact that it
 | couldn't be released back disturbed me.

 Point taken.  In the BIND example though, I know vixie and he digs that
 kind of thing.  He would be interested to know what people have done with
 his code even if they ask not to have it included in the distribution.
 But vixie doesn't really mind people doing that, if he did he wouldn't
 have released his code under the BSD license.

 My personal philosophy (that many disagree with, I realize) is
 that the code I write I want to help other people like me.  Regardless
 of whether their company allows them to make changes free or not.
 There are few things as frustrating as having to write something that
 has already been written, just because some luser says you have to.
 Now, whether you consider that luser to be your boss or Stallman, its up
 to you.  There is no reason anyone should have to write the same code
 twice.

 Woohoo!  let the flames begin.  =)

 Rob
--