[LUAU] Thoughts...

Chris Wong wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Wed Mar 3 09:36:12 PST 1999

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999 bbraun at sparcy.synack.net wrote:

>  | >  The nicest thing about the BSD's is the license though.  I feel dirty
>  | >  playing with GPL code these days.
>  | Huh? Really? I like both licenses and both have their points... My primary
>  | concern is propietary software vendors deciding that they want to
>  | modify and then sell my code. Take BIND. My understanding is that Oceanic
>  | hacked up BIND to do their levels of service thing. THe fact that it
>  | couldn't be released back disturbed me.
>
>  My personal philosophy (that many disagree with, I realize) is
>  that the code I write I want to help other people like me.  Regardless
>  of whether their company allows them to make changes free or not.
>  There are few things as frustrating as having to write something that
>  has already been written, just because some luser says you have to.
>  Now, whether you consider that luser to be your boss or Stallman, its up
>  to you.  There is no reason anyone should have to write the same code
>  twice.

I understand your point. Where I'm coming from is the belief that no
single entity should be capable of turning my free code into non-free
code.

Say you went up to Oceanic to ask them if you could see their improvements
to the BIND code because you're thinking about something similiar. (yeah
RIGHT!)

Actually.. even under the GPL they dont' have to distribute it.. so I"m
shooting myself in the foot here (they're not distributing it)...

But the point is... by keeping the source from future programmers, the
code stagnates and it becomes propietary.

Y'know what... I don't see any point in arguing with you. I know where
you're coming from and I KNOW you know what the GPL means. I guess we're
doing this for the edification of the users. yeah.. that's it.

>  Woohoo!  let the flames begin.  =)

I think only I will argue with you. But I wouldn't call it arguing..
just... letting you know. Heheheh.

I think there are better licenses than the both. I should look at the QPL
as well. I think it's still anti-commerical use. WHich isn't such a bad
idea. :)

Geee.. I never realized I was a radical. I guess I've a lot more to learn.

--
chris

--
    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net