[LUAU] Thoughts...

bbraun at sparcy.synack.net bbraun at sparcy.synack.net
Tue Mar 2 22:34:30 PST 1999

On Tuesday, Mar 1999 at 19:50:6 Chris Wong wrote:

 | The rebel in me thinks... hey.. Linux is mainstream! Ewwwwwwwww...
 | hehehehe. But I"m not going anywhere anyhow. Might even load FreeBSD. :) I
 | know... HURD! (anybody w/ any luck there?)

 Played with hurd a bit.  I had much better luck installing it with
 a ufs filesystem than on the ext2 filesystem.  If you want my
 commentary on installing it a while ago, I have my notes somewhere
 under my projects page (http://synack.net/~bbraun/projects/).
 Unfortunatly, it seems as if hurd is fairly dead.  There have been
 at least 2 new project leaders since I started playing, and there
 hasn't been much major improvement.  Even after debian said they
 would help out (I think they just did some packaging, no devel).

 As for freebsd, if you're into the hobbyist's os, NetBSD is pretty good.
 Actually, if you check out NetBSD and OpenBSD's (they are basically
 the same kernel in my book, they steal each others code regularly)
 masquerading capabilities, I think you'll be impressed.  VERY nice
 compared to linux.  If you're into the hobbyist OS thing that is.
 NetBSD's packet filtering code is also much more efficient than Linux's.
 The nicest thing about the BSD's is the license though.  I feel dirty
 playing with GPL code these days.

 | And yet... I can see a split. Linux for the users. And Linux for
 | Businesses. There are almost two separate but equal requirements and both
 | have to be addressed. I don't think we're doing well on the "business"
 | end. Well... hopefully the organizational structure can handle it.

 Yup, linux is no longer for the developers.  Unfortunate, really, but
 oh well.  Of course while the fever is high there is plenty of positioning
 one can do for some pretty good money.  Of course I don't think I'd
 ever be able to leave linux at this point...  I have so much time
 invested in linux and I feel I know it pretty intimatly.  Besides,
 it would take me forever to port my kernel modifications over to BSD...

 Rob
--
    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net