[LUAU] Thoughts...

Chris Wong wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Tue Mar 2 22:44:23 PST 1999

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999 bbraun at sparcy.synack.net wrote:

> On Tuesday, Mar 1999 at 19:50:6 Chris Wong wrote:
>  | The rebel in me thinks... hey.. Linux is mainstream! Ewwwwwwwww...
>  | hehehehe. But I"m not going anywhere anyhow. Might even load FreeBSD. :) I
>  | know... HURD! (anybody w/ any luck there?)
>
>  Played with hurd a bit.  I had much better luck installing it with
>  a ufs filesystem than on the ext2 filesystem.  If you want my
>  commentary on installing it a while ago, I have my notes somewhere
>  under my projects page (http://synack.net/~bbraun/projects/).
>  Unfortunatly, it seems as if hurd is fairly dead.  There have been
>  at least 2 new project leaders since I started playing, and there
>  hasn't been much major improvement.  Even after debian said they
>  would help out (I think they just did some packaging, no devel).

I thought things were moving forward a bit more? My impression is that
HURD was picking up... some support for XWindows.

RMS really missed the boat on this one. Then again, he would've scared off
businesses pretty early on. Something about his hands acting up or
something.

>  As for freebsd, if you're into the hobbyist's os, NetBSD is pretty good.
>  Actually, if you check out NetBSD and OpenBSD's
>  masquerading capabilities, I think you'll be impressed.  VERY nice
>  compared to linux.  If you're into the hobbyist OS thing that is.

nod. It's nice to play with something that's.. unknown.

>  NetBSD's packet filtering code is also much more efficient than Linux's.
>  The nicest thing about the BSD's is the license though.  I feel dirty
>  playing with GPL code these days.

Huh? Really? I like both licenses and both have their points... My primary
concern is propietary software vendors deciding that they want to
modify and then sell my code. Take BIND. My understanding is that Oceanic
hacked up BIND to do their levels of service thing. THe fact that it
couldn't be released back disturbed me.

>  | And yet... I can see a split. Linux for the users. And Linux for
>  | Businesses. There are almost two separate but equal requirements and both
>  | have to be addressed. I don't think we're doing well on the "business"
>  | end. Well... hopefully the organizational structure can handle it.
>
>  Yup, linux is no longer for the developers.

Yeah. NOticed that today with all the LinuxWorld stuff. IT's becoming
mainstream.

>  Unfortunate, really, but oh well.

It is unfortunate. But it was what we were pushing for all these years...
and now that we have it... the taste it rather... bittersweet.

>  Of course while the fever is high there is plenty of positioning
>  one can do for some pretty good money.

Money is always good. I'm sure most of us could find reasonably good
paying jobs in the next few months. Just by sheer virtue of knowledge.

>   Of course I don't think I'd  ever be able to leave linux at this
>  point...  I have so much time invested in linux and I feel I know it
>  pretty intimatly.

Same here... but I can see learning something else.... in fact... just to
keep my mind sharp, I SHOULD learn something else.

>  Besides, it would take me forever to port my kernel modifications over
>  to BSD...

Assuming they even let it in. As much as they say the FreeBSD development
model allows anybody to add in a patch.. in practice...

After I send this message I'll go poke around at HURD.

If only BeOS was Open Source....

--
chris

--