[LUAU] Dues to Chew On

hupo malihini biotech at vcnet.com
Fri Jun 18 00:06:31 PDT 1999

I am against the idea of membership dues. I
think that the imposition of dues will reduce
membership rather than increase it. I also
believe that dues are contrary to the
fundamental concepts of GNU and Linux. It has
been suggested that the money from dues could
be used to give us a more "commercial" look
at trade shows and public demos. I don't
think that the problem is a shortage of
hardware as many members have a second
machine available for a short loan. Trade
shows and public demonstrations are a great
idea but we should be able to do this without
resorting to a glossy commercial M$ look. We
should decide on a case by case basis how
much we are willing to spend and which
projects to spend it on. We have an OS that
sells itself; price, reliability,
performance. We have some impressive
accomplishments; Titanic (Digital Domain),
Avalon, the internet. We have some impressive
friends Corel (Word Perfect), Oracel, IBM,
Compaq, etc.

I also want to take this opportunity to thank
Chris Wong for all his efforts on behalf of
LUAU. I hope all this pilikia doesn't prevent
him from contributing to this group again.
Although the group undoubtedly has a right to
chose its leadership, it also has an
obligation to acknowledge and value the
contributions of its members. I think LUAU
owes him a debt of gratitude.

Mark Rassi
biotech at vcnet.com

--
    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net

           LUAU meetings are the 3rd Tuesday of each month 6pm