[LUAU] Database package.

Chris Wong wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Tue Feb 9 10:30:50 PST 1999

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999 lamk001 at hawaii.rr.com wrote:

> >Anyway.  Many languages support both berkeley db, and SQL.
> >Perl, C, C++, php, python, etc...
> >
> >If you decide to go for an SQL database thingy, mysql is a good
> >one.  postgres is another one.

PostgreSQL is Free Software. MySQL isn't. That aside, I use MySQL.

> OIC.....I was thinking about using C as the primary language.  Glad to
> hear that C supports the database packages you mentioned above.

Which isn't necessarily a good thing. I feel C is horrible for database
programming primarily because of it's static nature. I would lean towards
Perl (tho' methinks Doug might say Python) to interface w/ an SQL server.

> Anway, can you give me some pointers where I can learn more about
> berkeley db and SQL?

man dbm

SQL.. well... I'd pick up a book.

> Just don't want to always ask without learning by myself first.  BTW,
> I was playing with ncurses, and found that it's pretty powerful.  But
> when it comes to displaying color and ASC_lines, it doesn't display
> stuff correctly under some terminals, not even in Xterm.

Well, color is pretty terminal specific. ANSI Color that is.. and that's
about all we have to play with. ASC_lines? I'm assuming you mean the
extended character set... well.. yeah. I think that might be Linux Console
only.

> Again, is there any howto that I can follow?  I was just looking into
> the sample codes to learn, so I couldn't figure out all the functions'
> meanings.  Any pointers?

man curses?

Man pages are your friend... generally. The GNU software has a fetish for
info, and I can barely operate info, but I love man.

If the man page is too abstract, the closest thing I can think of would be
Programm in Curses by O'Reily.

Nice book, but it doesn't cover the ncurses extensions... and WOW ncurses
got some extensions. :) (I just discovered that btw... that you can have
more than one session of ncurses in a program)

Generally.. I'd use the source and the man page.. and guess at it from
there.