[LUAU] Database package.

lamk001 at hawaii.rr.com lamk001 at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Feb 9 08:23:17 PST 1999

>This really depends.  What kind of database do you need?
>Almost all unices ship with berkeley db support, or you
>can go all the way for some kind of SQL database.  Lots
>of choices in between.  Personally, I think you filesystem
>is already a database, and there are few occations when you
>will want to duplicate the effort and have a database ontop
>of a database.  Heck, maybe even just flat files will work.
>Depends on what kind of data you'll be storing, and what kind
>of manipulation of that data you intend to do.
>
>Anyway.  Many languages support both berkeley db, and SQL.
>Perl, C, C++, php, python, etc...
>
>If you decide to go for an SQL database thingy, mysql is a good
>one.  postgres is another one.

OIC.....I was thinking about using C as the primary language.  Glad to hear
that C supports the database packages you mentioned above.  Anway, can you give
me some pointers where I can learn more about berkeley db and SQL?  Just don't
want to always ask without learning by myself first.  BTW, I was playing with
ncurses, and found that it's pretty powerful.  But when it comes to displaying
color and ASC_lines, it doesn't display stuff correctly under some terminals,
not even in Xterm.  Again, is there any howto that I can follow?  I was just
looking into the sample codes to learn, so I couldn't figure out all the functions'
meanings.  Any pointers?

-Max