[LUAU] SAMBA Newbie Setup

Chris Wong wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Mon Dec 28 10:45:27 PST 1998

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Steve Anderson wrote:

> My Linux box does ip masq and fw for my WIN 98 machine. It works very
> well. I can even play online games on the WIN98 through the fw on the
> Linux box. I don not have any questions about ip masq or fw.

Okay.

> I did have a question about the WIN98 ethernet adapter properties. I
> have
> read some newsgroup messages about disabling DNS, and enabling WINS to
> get SAMBA to work. But I do not have an understanding of WINS. So will
> SAMBA
> work with the WIN98 set to DNS enabled?

yes it will. Work well infact. It's what I do at work. It's NOT a DNS
problem it's an encryption problem. Remember now, Win98 SEEMS your box. It
just can't read any shares from it.

And vice versa. So name resolution isn't the problem.

> It appears that to get SAMBA working, I have to redo the encryption
> files. I've followed the directions on smbpasswd, and I don't see
> why it doesn't work. I did the commands to create a the /etc/smbpasswd
> file. The encryption file appears as described in the doc.
>
> I even tried the option of plain text passwords. I changed the regedit
> in
> WIN98, and rebooted. I also made the changes in smb.conf and restarted
> SAMBA.

Actually.. I'm not too sure if the instructions as given works. I couldn't
get it to work.

> With SAMBA running without the option of encrypted passwords, I couldn't
> get
> the WIN98 to log in with clear text passwords. I don't really like this
> option, but I wanted to give it a try.

I've got it to work with encryption actually. If you don't have any
non-Win95 clients, it might be a good opition. Actaully.. nevermind. I got
it to work with WIn98. I don't have ac lue HOW we did it. It was a regedit
thing. I forgot actually.

> I've read the documentation available on the WWW and with SAMBA.
> While it is very helpful, I still have a few questions listed above.
> I will continue to try to work the password issue, that must be the
> problem.

May I suggest a book to you?

The only book on Samba out there...

Sounds like a cheap plug but I bought it... Samba: Connecting Unix and
Windows. it's at any major bookstore.

No NEW information sadly. But it's all together in an easy to use
reference.