[LUAU] SAMBA Newbie Setup

Steve Anderson andersons001 at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Dec 28 09:42:43 PST 1998

Thanks for the answers to my email.
My first email was confusing, and this one may be too.

My Linux box does ip masq and fw for my WIN 98 machine. It works very
well. I can even play online games on the WIN98 through the fw on the
Linux box. I don not have any questions about ip masq or fw.

I did have a question about the WIN98 ethernet adapter properties. I
have
read some newsgroup messages about disabling DNS, and enabling WINS to
get SAMBA to work. But I do not have an understanding of WINS. So will
SAMBA
work with the WIN98 set to DNS enabled?

The remaining questions were pretty clear, and I understand the answers.

It appears that to get SAMBA working, I have to redo the encryption
files. I've followed the directions on smbpasswd, and I don't see
why it doesn't work. I did the commands to create a the /etc/smbpasswd
file. The encryption file appears as described in the doc.

I even tried the option of plain text passwords. I changed the regedit
in
WIN98, and rebooted. I also made the changes in smb.conf and restarted
SAMBA.
With SAMBA running without the option of encrypted passwords, I couldn't
get
the WIN98 to log in with clear text passwords. I don't really like this
option, but I wanted to give it a try.

I've read the documentation available on the WWW and with SAMBA.
While it is very helpful, I still have a few questions listed above.
I will continue to try to work the password issue, that must be the
problem.
Steve