[LUAU] SAMBA Newbie Setup

John W Christian jwchris at juno.com
Mon Dec 28 00:06:57 PST 1998

Chris & Steve,

I am guessing, but I think there are actually three [3] questions/actions
involved here.  And they are involving Road Runner....  ;-)

On Sun, 27 Dec 1998 19:08:53 -1000 (HST) Chris Wong
<wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu> writes:
>On Sun, 27 Dec 1998, Steve Anderson wrote:
>
>> I have been trying to setup SAMBA on my Linux machine. I can't get
>>my  WIN98 machine to log in.
>
>Check /usr/doc/samba/ENCRYPTION.txt
>or equivlent.
>
>I think that explains it far more succiently than I can.
>
>In a nutshell, either you disable Encrypted passwords on Win98 or you
>enable encrypted passwords on Samba. Problem is, you can't have both.
>:(

Agreed

>> Some questions:
>> Will ip masq and fw work at the same time as SAMBA on the Linux box
>>for the WIN98 box?
>
>I don't understand the question.
Here is where I think the problem starts; I do not believe IP MASQ &
forwarding
[???] are in WIN98 OS let alone SAMBA, just in Linux OS.  So Steve's
Linux box
will need to be the gateway to the Internet [RR].  But our documentation
on the
Web Page explains that [???].

>> Can the WIN 98 networking properties be set up the way I do for ip
>masq?  (i.e. DNS enabled, linux gateway installed)
>
>I don't follow this question either.
Again, refer to the documentation on the Web Page....

>> Or do I need to enable WINS? Tied in with above question, do I need
>> enable WINS support in SAMBA?
refer to the web page...

>WINS is something you don't need. YOu're not implementing cross subnet
>browsing so it's rather useless. For that matter, you can just make
>DNS->WINS proxy out of samba so the whole point is moot.
SAMBA & the Linux server being confused above; which makes Chris's
response quite logical [barring RR connection]

>> I can do smbclient -U username -L severname without an error and get
>>the shares.
>> But is that command supposed to finish with a SMB prompt?
>
>No.. it only lists shares.
Agreed