[LUAU] SAMBA Newbie Setup

Chris Wong wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Sun Dec 27 21:08:53 PST 1998

On Sun, 27 Dec 1998, Steve Anderson wrote:

> I have been trying to setup SAMBA on my Linux machine. I can't get my
> WIN98
> machine to log in.

Check /usr/doc/samba/ENCRYPTION.txt
or equivlent.

I think that explains it far more succiently than I can.

In a nutshell, either you disable Encrypted passwords on Win98 or you
enable encrypted passwords on Samba. Problem is, you can't have both. :(

> Some questions:
> Will ip masq and fw work at the same time as SAMBA on the Linux box for
> the WIN98 box?

I don't understand the question.

> Can the WIN 98 networking properties be set up the way I do for ip masq?
> (i.e. DNS enabled, linux gateway installed)

I don't follow this question either.

> Or do I need to enable WINS? Tied in with above question, do I need to
> enable WINS support in SAMBA?

WINS is something you don't need. YOu're not implementing cross subnet
browsing so it's rather useless. For that matter, you can just make
DNS->WINS proxy out of samba so the whole point is moot.

> I can do smbclient -U username -L severname without an error and get the
> shares.
> But is that command supposed to finish with a SMB prompt?

No.. it only lists shares.

smbclient -U username //servername/sharename should work (or if it's
<1.9.18 \\\\servername\\sharename)

> When I do nmblookup -d 2 '*'. it only sees the IP for my SAMBA server.

Never got that to do what I wanted.