[LUAU] SAMBA Newbie Setup

Steve Anderson andersons001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Dec 27 18:58:04 PST 1998

I have been trying to setup SAMBA on my Linux machine. I can't get my
WIN98
machine to log in.

I know they can see each other, since I do ip masq and fw on the Linux
for the WIN 98. Each can ping the other.

Some questions:
Will ip masq and fw work at the same time as SAMBA on the Linux box for
the WIN98 box?

Can the WIN 98 networking properties be set up the way I do for ip masq?
(i.e. DNS enabled, linux gateway installed) Or do I need to enable WINS?
Tied in with above question, do I need to enable WINS support in SAMBA?

I can do smbclient -U username -L severname without an error and get the
shares.
But is that command supposed to finish with a SMB prompt?

When I do nmblookup -d 2 '*'. it only sees the IP for my SAMBA server.

Thanks, Steve