[LUAU] Favorite NTP server?

Al Plant noc at hdk5.net
Thu Feb 20 15:38:43 PST 2014

Jeff Mings wrote:
> Yes, Brian, the first NTP pool address I listed is from ntp.pool.org,
> but it may be farther away /slower depending upon which server in the
> pool answers the query.
>
>     Al, I always appreciate your suggestions, but I noticed that the
> NASA NTP server is really not supposed to be publicly available:
> http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/PublicTimeServer000270
> Strangely, the ntp.hawaii.edu server doesn't have a stratum rating, and
> I know that a few years ago, it oddly jumped forward to the year 2030:
> http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/PublicTimeServer000453
>
>     In terms of ping time and likely long-term reliability, the NIST
> server in LA is looking like my best option : nist1-la.ustiming.org
>
> Sincerely,
> -Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I got the nasa, columbia servers from some freeBSD list in a published
form. I think Mike Lucas lists some reliable ntp servers for regions in
Absolute BSD.

The pool servers are part of the problem since the IP s are from all
over. One of the guys in England tells me and shouldnt be trusted if you
need real accuracy.

AL

   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD  7.2 - 8.0 - 9* +