[LUAU] Ok VNC newbie question...

Brian Chee chee at hawaii.edu
Wed Sep 21 18:22:24 PDT 2011

Since this installation needs graphics, and we'd like to avoid needing to
purchase X11 servers for all the students (VNC is at least free) AND the
server is accessed through an SSL-VPN so I don't have to teach the students
how to SSH tunnel at this time...drum roll please...

Does anyone know of a procedure to kill the GUI login on the server (not
needed anyway but I can live with it if that's a problem) but use VNC to get
the regular CentOS gui login so that the students can run some Linux based
visualization software in a graphical environment.

In summary, I'd like to use VNC to connect to a server, prompt the user for
their Linux username and password (Centos 5.7) and then get their
appropriate desktop. Basically as if they're sitting at the physical
machine.

Got suggestions? I found this one specifically about SUSE (
http://www.realvnc.com/pipermail/vnc-list/2003-March/037862.html) but is
there a better way to do this?

/brian chee

University of Hawaii SOEST
Advanced Network Computing Laboratory (ANCL)
Brian Chee <chee at hawaii.edu>
2525 Correa Road, HIG 500
Honolulu, HI 96822
Office: 808-956-5797