[LUAU] TurboPrint - pretty freaking cool

Jeff Mings jeffm at lava.net
Mon Mar 7 22:34:15 PST 2011

Hello All!

     I just discovered a commercial Linux package called TurboPrint.  I
have to share my experience.

     I bought a new Epson Stylus Photo R2880.  This is a very nice
printer, but I wasted hours and hours trying to get color management to
work.  Gutenprint is a very cool system, but it wasn't close enough to
what I get from my camera and from GIMP under Lucid Lynx.  I have been
using Linux as my primary OS for at least 11 years, and I know my way
around.  I tried different color profiles, every imaginable setting,
etc., and it still wasn't right.  I tried printing from my iMac, and
from WinXP in a VM, but nothing really came close.

     I read about TurboPrint in a Linux forum for Epson users, and tried
it.  It's very polished, and using the AdobeRGB1998 color profile, I got
the closest match so far.  I'm very impressed.  It costs 30 Euro for a
single PC license.  I was actually considering purchasing Adobe
Lightroom to solve my color management problem, so 30 Euro isn't bad at all.

     I just wish I knew about this several days ago.  If you guys come
across anything really cool or interesting, please let the list know -
we can all use new info.

Aloha,
-Jeff Mings