[LUAU] Using a 3rd party DNS providers effects routing from CDN's?

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 1 20:32:50 PST 2011

Just to confirm.

Using RR's DNS to look up an Akamai server:
$ host a9.g.akamai.net
a9.g.akamai.net has address 24.143.203.19
a9.g.akamai.net has address 24.143.203.35

This corresponds to RR block:
$ whois 24.143.203.19
[Querying whois.arin.net]
[Redirected to ipmt.rr.com:4321]
network:IP-Network:24.143.192.0/19
network:IP-Network-Block:24.143.192.0 - 24.143.223.255
network:Organization;I:Road Runner Commercial

Using Google DNS:
$ host a9.g.akamai.net 8.8.8.8
Using domain server:
Name: 8.8.8.8
Address: 8.8.8.8#53
Aliases:

a9.g.akamai.net has address 96.17.8.42
a9.g.akamai.net has address 96.17.8.24

.. Eek, using Akamai's servers directly!

- Julian