[LUAU] Apps.gov -- A model for FOSS distribution?

Mike Gonsalves mlgonsal at hawaii.edu
Tue Sep 15 14:07:03 PDT 2009

I just stumbled on Apps.gov  after reading "US government takes leap into the Internet 'cloud'" on Google News. The website is attractive and easy to navigate. When I got to the list of applications and their price tags, I imagined a similar list of FOSS that said "free" instead of $$$.

It could make a really good distribution model for FOSS. One that would appeal to non-techies who are interested in FOSS but intimidated by some of the arcana in the FOSS world. I imagine a similar website for FOSS where someone can browse through catagories similar to those on Apps.gov and select software to download.

Is there something like this already out there?

~Mike Gonsalves

"Were it so easy."   --The Arbiter, Halo 3