[LUAU] Open Source Pizza 2009 Schedule

R. Scott Belford scott at belford.net
Mon Feb 16 18:31:37 PST 2009

Aloha

Let's look ahead.  In the interest of creating a roadmap for migration
to and adoption of free and open source software, this is the
tentative 2009 Open Source Pizza schedule.
Sessions may change to accommodate guest speakers or topics that
suddenly become more relevant.

There are some speakers that I have in mind for each session, however,
your initiative will be rewarded if you wish to conduct, suggest, or
modify a session.  The more participation, the better.  Bandwidth and
equipment permitting, all sessions will be live at
http://links.hosef.org/osp

--scott

You Can Do It, Yes You Can
Don't be afraid.  I know how you feel.  You want to install this
"linux" thing on your computer, but you don't think it's as easy as
everyone says.  Join us as we convert a computer to a dual boot
workstation running Window and gnu/linux.
February 17, 2009

Crossing Over - Doing With FOSS what You Did with Bill
It's all about the applications, and we know it.  Who cares if it is
gnu or linux or mac or windows as long as it can do something, right?
Join us for a comparison of what one can do with Free applications
regardless of the operating system.
March 17, 2009

What Distro and Why - A Brotherly Discussion
Once you decide to to use a free operating system for your hardware,
you suddenly find yourself learning words like 'distribution' and iso.
 The world of freedom also includes choice, and choosing the right
gnu/linux distro can be fun.  Join us to see why.
April 21, 2009

The Multimedia Experience - Ubuntu Studio
You want to create.  You know that you can.  You've seen what you can
do with free software.  You are a creator, though, and you want it to
'just work' rather than depriving the world of your brilliance by
wasting time installing stuff.  It's okay.  We're here for you, and
we'll show you how one DVD can help you to master the Muses.
May 19, 2009

Your Business in a Box - SME Server
You are a business.  You need email, web services, shared files,
authentication, remote access, and more.  You don't want to figure it
all out, although you know you can, and it really is easy enough for
you and your team - of one.  If you haven't taken it to the proverbial
'cloud,' then the SME server might be worth pondering.
June 16, 2009

Bare Metal Restoration - Clonezilla
Where did it go?  You had your stuff, it was working, and so what that
if there was a power surge, a brownout, a lightning storm, or chaos.
Your stuff was backed up.  That's great.  What about restoring your
operating system, with applications, and settings?  Do you have
images?  If not, then join us to feel the fire of Clonezilla.
July 21, 2009

Virtual Magic - Another Look at Virtualizing
Everyone has talked about it.  Maybe it really is the right thing to
do.  You know you are the last, and that is still okay for you.  You
want it to work, cost you less electricity, provide you high
availability, redundancy, and a safe sandbox for R&D.  You can have
this, and more, once you virtualize your hardware stack.
August 18, 2009

SIP up the VOIP, the Getting is Good
It really is that good.  Maybe you haven't gone so far as to see what
a software PBX can do for you, or how affordable your 808 number can
be when you access it from your computer, with a software client.  Of
course, once upon a time you also thought that you could only get mail
from a box from home.  Join us.  This is good stuff.
September 15, 2009

OSP - How Does it Look and What is it Doing
Where is everything?  What is it doing?  Why is some stuff slow, some
stuff fast, and why is that guy in the lobby smiling with his wireless
lapotp?  Maybe it's time that you had a look around your local area
network to see what is really going on.  It actually comes with pretty
graphs and charts.
October 20, 2009

Making My Web With Joomla
You've crawled around in other webs like those spun with AOL,
Facebook, and even Twitter.  Now you are all grown up, and you are
ready to create your own web presence that is free from anyone else's
rules or policies.  Guess what?  You can, it can be pretty, and people
will still be your friend and follow you.
November 17, 2009

Making My Web With Drupal
Shazaam.  Geemoninny.  Wow.  You want this, and more, as well as for
people to call you the master of the universe, or at least master of
their universe.  You can do it, with Drupal, and of course a module.
December 22, 2009

The Future of Affordable Computing - How Close are We to Free?
Yeah, right.  Free?  Are you kidding me?  Seriously, we keep getting
closer.  Join us for our annual assessment of the state of affordable
computing and the access to free software.
January 19, 2010