No subject

Wed Feb 25 15:27:10 PST 2009

What you did is also dependent on where you were in the directory
structure when you did it.
If you remember the particulars of where you were, "I would" probably cd
back to that location and do a "chmod -R 715 tbu"(turn on the execute
permissions) and see how it affects Samba.
If that doesn't do it, I'd repeat the command and change the permissions
one at a time until I found out what I had turned off with the first
command.

-----Original Message-----
From: luau-admin at videl.ics.hawaii.edu
[mailto:luau-admin at videl.ics.hawaii.edu] On Behalf Of TB
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 10:02 AM
To: luau
Subject: [luau] chmod link screwup kills samba, login

As root I did

chmod -R 704 tbu

Unfortunately, inside the directory tbu there was a
link to /, so it attempted to chmod everything in my
filesystem. Now I cannot log in normally and samba has
stopped working.

Okay, I am not expecting you guys to hand me the
solution, but I really need a clue regarding where to
start doing my homework.  The question I need to
figure out is, which permissions do I need to change
and what do I change them to? How do I go about
investigating this?

Obviously I need to be able to log in. And getting
samba working again is important. Right now I have it
running off of a knoppix CD and I presume I can figure
out how to mount my partitions rw & chmod things. I
just need to figure out what to change and what to
change it to.

Thanks in advance for even the most trivial or obscure
clue.

TB