[LUAU] Huron vs Gibbon

Jim Roby jim at jimroby.com
Sun May 11 18:17:22 PDT 2008

I first went out and put this question on the Ubuntu list and got no
response in two days,I then started reading the man pages on the Debian
site.TKX all for the clear answers.The install of
Ubuntu was a real dream,easy to make the right choices,lots of fail
safe,and friendly.Once it was up and rebooted it offered the upgrade,and
I assumed it was security patches,but 650meg later we were automatically
upgraded to Huron,and it left on the root desktop an ISO file that can
be burned to CD. Just too slick. In looking at comments on the Ubuntu
site there were some badmouthing the Huron,yet I saw no comments about
Gibbon.I assume Huron is out of beta,
but is it too soon to have upgraded?
I did notice that in Huron they had dropped the install of Gpart which I
used first to split the disk for the two OSs,but getting it on board
with Huron was simple point and click,again my head spins at how Kewl
this distro is. I mostly deal with Windoz and carry around a Dos boot CD
and a copy of Partition Magic.I do use a CD puppy which I use to check
ram and also as a proof of concept
as to if I'm dealing with a hardware or Windows(mal ware) problem.This
is the first Linux distro that truly seems ready for prime time.I have
been making copies and giving it to folks,knowing that
I wouldn't be getting frantic call at night.
This machine as mentioned is at a community center and will see a lot of
different users,we have provided a single account and passwrd and will
encourage users to set up  web mail accounts.
It will be an interesting experiment to see it reception and how robust
it is.