[LUAU] yes...was Re: Is this list still alive...

Michael Bishop michael at michaelsplace.net
Sun May 11 17:12:01 PDT 2008

Jim Roby wrote:

<snip>
> All attempts to right the Windows distro failed and I then decided to
> give the entire disk to Ubuantu.Now we have a boot menu that boots
> Ubuantu but still points to the non existant Win2K...it just yields an
> error message and you can go back to boot the working OS. I would like
> to wipe the menu which now doesn't look pro,but reading I see there is
> no uninstall of Grub...man pages say to over write it.
> Is this safe? And how should I go about it?  fdisk /mbr or something
> like that? Should I make a boot floppy first? machine has a floppy drive.
A boot loader (like Grub) is needed (just like Windows), but in Linux
it's more visible. If you don't need the extra space, then I would just
remove the Win2K option from grub. Open a terminal and:

sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst

Scroll down to the bottom and comment out the Win2K line by putting a #
before the 4 lines associated with Win2K. It may look something like this:

# title         Windows 95/98/NT/2000
# root          (hd0,0)
# makeactive
# chainloader   +1

You can hide the grub menu on boot. There may be a hiddenmenu line that
is commented out, just remove the # from before it.

As a final note, you may want to consider installing the latest version
of Ubuntu, Hardy Heron. So far it appears to be the great distro they've
created.

Good luck.

Michael