[LUAU] yes...was Re: Is this list still alive...

Jim Roby jim at jimroby.com
Sun May 11 15:30:34 PDT 2008

Here is a Linux/Ubuntu question.
I just tried for the first time Ububtu, (gutsy Gibbon) I was amazed at
how user friendly and well
designed the desktop is.This older guy runs a community center with
broadband.We came upon
a hosed install of Win2K and decided we should try Ubuntu to see how it
is received by the public.
It installed great,I used partitioning software included on the live CD
to split the disk in two,giving
Ubuntu the second partition.It installed Grub with a menu pointing to
Win2K.All attempts to right the Windows distro failed and I then decided
to give the entire disk to Ubuantu.Now we have a boot menu that boots
Ubuantu but still points to the non existant Win2K...it just yields an error
message and you can go back to boot the working OS. I would like to wipe
the menu which now doesn't look pro,but reading I see there is no
uninstall of Grub...man pages say to over write it.
Is this safe? And how should I go about it?  fdisk /mbr or something
like that? Should I make a boot floppy first? machine has a floppy drive.