[LUAU] list "moderation"

Michael Bishop michael at michaelsplace.net
Sat Mar 29 09:11:29 PDT 2008

Gary Sublett wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 07:05:12 -0700
> "Vince Hoang" <vince at litrium.com> wrote:
>

>> You just don't get it. I am not turning on emergency moderation.
>> Instead, I will remove both of you from LUAU until you settle your
>> differences. I do not begrudge either of you. I think you both want
>> what is best for HOSEF, but your strong personalities prevent you from
>> finding common ground.
>>
>> You idea of containment does not work in the Internet age. I tried
>> keeping this venue open in your defense. By closing off both
>> hosef-managers and LUAU, the disagreement will spill elsewhere, and
>> likely where you will not be able to retract the discussion.
>>
>> If any subscribers disagree, let me know.
>>

> I disagree, the threat of removing a subscriber from the list based on
> what?

Off-topic material. Jim said Scott wouldn't allow his posts through to
HOSEF-manager where their thread belongs. So Jim took it to LUAU. The
posts seem to cover more HOSEF board related business and personal
issues rather than *nix related things.
> To protect someone from themself, seems rather paternalistic.

I see it more like protecting LUAU and the LUG. The most recent posts
concern me greatly.
> To protect the integrity of the list or subject matter, seems
> inconsistant with the range of subjects or lack thereof over recent
> years.

Which has led to people leaving the list or becoming disgusted with
LUAU/HOSEF. I think stronger moderation is in order. Especially with the
recent threats of lawsuits and personal information leaks.