[LUAU] Hello - My Name is HOSEF

P pnakashi at atmail.k12.hi.us
Fri Mar 28 12:22:48 PDT 2008

 Sorry, my webmail is not formatting my replies correctly. Let's try
this again.
  Reply inserted below.
 --Peter
 On Thu 08/03/27  9:55 PM , Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com sent:
 > My concern with additional school labs is that we're butting heads

  with DOE and many (not all, but many) tech coordinators,
  who all want the "shinny new stuff" (and there are hard-science
  reasons for it beyond its attractive shinny surface).
 From inside the DOE, it does not appear at all that HOSEF has butt
 heads, or is butting heads with the DOE or any school tech. HOSEF
 simply offers schools another choice. There are many schools and
 school techs who choose not to touch anything non-Windows or
 non-MacOS. That is their choice. They have no problem with HOSEF.
 HOSEF has never "forced" itself on any school. There are some
schools
 and school techs who appreciate and take advantage of what HOSEF
 offers (both directly and indirectly).
 The "tasting" of FOSS has been a slow, but steady process in the
 DOE. Hey, almost anyone would prefer the "shinny new stuff."
However,
 some can't afford it. It's nice that HOSEF has "provided" an
 alternative. My school is on the leading edge of FOSS use in the
DOE.
 With the exception of DOE mandated Windows administrative machines,
 our campus is almost 100% Edubuntu. We are not typical, but we hope
 to set an example for the rest.
 > We're literally attempting to introduce last-gen computers running
 a decidedly foreign software stack into a program that promotes the
 use  of PowerPoint by students beginning in First Grade, thereby
crushing
  any vestige of non-linear thought process and helping educating a
 new  generation of middle managers who will toe the line and
conform.
 My kindergarteners create presentations, WP documents, and
 spreadsheets using OpenOffice. For most of our parents, kindergarten
 is their first exposure to Linux/FOSS. Some are now asking, "How do
 get OpenOffice for my computer?" It's not a flood, but every drop
 helps  :-)
 With the help of HOSEF, we were planning to offer recycled computers
 to our less fortunate families. Sadly, it appears that dream just
died
  :-(
  --Peter