[LUAU] Hello - My Name is HOSEF

P pnakashi at atmail.k12.hi.us
Fri Mar 28 00:55:09 PDT 2008

 Reply inserted below.
 On Thu 08/03/27  4:13 PM , Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com sent:
 My concern with additional school labs is that we're butting heads
 with DOE and many (not all, but many) tech coordinators,
 who all want the "shinny new stuff" (and there are hard-science
 reasons for it beyond its attractive shinny surface).
 From inside the DOE, it does not appear at all that HOSEF has butt
heads, or is butting heads with the DOE or any school tech. HOSEF
simply offers schools another choice. There are many schools and
school techs who choose not to touch anything non-Windows or
non-MacOS. That is their choice. They have no problem with HOSEF.
HOSEF has never "forced" itself on any school. There are some schools
and school techs who appreciate and take advantage of what HOSEF
offers (both directly and indirectly).
 The "tasting" of FOSS has been a slow, but steady process in the
DOE. Hey, almost anyone would prefer the "shinny new stuff." However,
some can't afford it. It's nice that HOSEF has "provided" an
alternative. My school is on the leading edge of FOSS use in the DOE.
With the exception of DOE mandated Windows administrative machines,
our campus is almost 100% Edubuntu. We are not typical, but we hope
to set an example for the rest.
  We're literally attempting to introduce last-gen computers running
 decidedly foreign software stack into a program that promotes the
use
 of PowerPoint by students beginning in First Grade, thereby crushing

 any vestige of non-linear thought process and helping educating a
new
 generation of middle managers who will toe the line and conform.
 My kindergarteners create presentations, WP documents, and
spreadsheets using OpenOffice. For most of our parents, kindergarten
is their first exposure to Linux/FOSS. Some are now asking, "How do I
get OpenOffice for my computer?" It's not a flood, but every drop
helps  :-)
 With the help of HOSEF, we were planning to offer recycled computers
to our less fortunate families. Sadly, it appears that dream just died
 :-(
 --Peter