[LUAU] Spreading OpenSource w/ ZenCart & 808lunch.com

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Thu Mar 27 06:25:06 PDT 2008

On Mar 26, 2008, at 9:13 PM, R. Scott Belford wrote:

> Three years ago we started a project to put computers and free but
> filtered
> wifi in parks.  In doing so I had to overcome a lot of objections at
> the
> City level, for nearly a year, before we were allowed to give the
> city a
> computer lab and free wifi in Ewa Beach.

In fact, I helped build this (a couple C & C employees helped).

> After the Chinatown wifi meltdown, our City's CIO called me to see
> if we
> could install the same firewall content filter for Chinatown that we
> had
> been installing in the parks.

Note that I had fundamental objections to this filter(ing).

> Because the project was using Meraki units

meraki isn't the best company to work with.

> I was then asked to give up root for a box that we were asked to
> support and
> put our name behind.  There were clear profit motives, which is
> fine, but it
> was clearly not our place to be used this way without a lot more
> disclosure
> and collaboration.  I did not give up root but offered to update the
> box as
> needed.

For pay WiFi (even if the payment is "ad space" and eyeballs) is the
Internet's equivalent of the pay toilet, and doomed to the same fate.

> I think we saw eye to eye on what happened and why quite clearly,
> Aryn.  It
> was a shame, it was a tremendous lost opportunity, but we were happy
> to help
> and were appropriately excluded when we did not cooperate in this
> unexpected
> way.

Why wasn't this box a recycled eWaste donation like any other?

Jim