[LUAU] non-distro firewall recommendations?

Jeff Mings jeffm at lava.net
Tue Mar 25 15:29:34 PDT 2008

Hello all,

    For a long time, I used a fairly simple bash script, MonMotha's
firewall, to manage the firewall functionality for several Linux
servers.  It was ridiculously easy to administer and setup.  It's still
running on a few of my servers.  I needed more functionality, and
started using Shorewall, which is a solid solution.  However, I was
never able to get SIP / RTP forwarding to work with Shorewall, although
it works with the simpler MonMotha script.  MonMotha, who used to
subscribe to this list until some sort of disagreement, has stopped
updating his excellent script.

    Is there a good up-to-date firewall solution like MonMotha's?  It is
_really_ easy to configure, and make work.  The only thing missing is
the ability to deny packets from certain hosts.  The MonMotha script was
supposed to do this, but the office girls were still able to suck away
the bandwidth and their productivity at myspace.com, forever21.com,
etc.  Shorewall unequivocally blocks the crap sites.  I also need to
accomodate Gizmo and the SIP / RTP functionality of the Talkswitch
mini-PBXes.  The servers are primarily Fedora Core (8,7,6) boxes that
primarily serve OpenVPN, Samba, HTTP and DHCP.

    Suggestions?

Thanks,

-Jeff Mings