[LUAU] non-distro firewall recommendations?

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Wed Mar 26 00:47:44 PDT 2008

Jeff Mings wrote:
>     Is there a good up-to-date firewall solution like MonMotha's?  It is
> _really_ easy to configure, and make work.  The only thing missing is
> the ability to deny packets from certain hosts.  The MonMotha script was
> supposed to do this, but the office girls were still able to suck away
> the bandwidth and their productivity at myspace.com, forever21.com,
> etc.  Shorewall unequivocally blocks the crap sites.  I also need to
> accomodate Gizmo and the SIP / RTP functionality of the Talkswitch
> mini-PBXes.  The servers are primarily Fedora Core (8,7,6) boxes that
> primarily serve OpenVPN, Samba, HTTP and DHCP.
>
>     Suggestions?

I don't know if you can hook it into dynamic lists, but
http://www.fwbuilder.org/ is my favorite.  It's a GUI program where you
create objects like "loopback interface", "my subnet", "ICMP", "UDP Port
10000", and you drag them around and make a layout of your rules.  Once
you're done, you can export a firewall script for a dozen different
operating systems.

-Eric Hattemer