[LUAU] Who's building system units?

Jeff Mings jeffm at lava.net
Fri Aug 1 12:04:59 PDT 2008

    Building boxes is so commoditized that the time to assemble and the
risk potential of fixing issues with multiple points of responsibility
hasn't been worth it for a long time.  I've been buying dirt-cheap Dell
boxes for my windows-using clients for a long time; they work well,
driver and tracking support on the Dell site is good, and their
reliability record has been excellent.

    I recently bought a shuttle k-4500 for about $230 from Newegg (it's
not there anymore) and dropped Kubuntu onto it for use as a client's
home server; except for an optical drive, the box had everything I
needed for a simple server.  I just added a 2nd NIC and had a complete
compact server for less than $300.  Buying the barebones version and
adding cpu, RAM, drive, would not have been worth the effort.

    The cost of parts for self-assembly often turns out to be more than
buying a cheap complete box.

    KDE 4.1 is very pretty and available in a new Kubuntu remix on the
Ubuntu site.  Putting that on the cheap Shuttle box might be a winner
for your friend.

Aloha,

-Jeff Mings

P.s.  The more I use Ubuntu / Kubuntu, the more I am impressed by it.  I
still find odd things, like not having an xinetd installed by default,
but I'm really finding more and more to like about the distro.