[LUAU] Actual Linux Question: CentOS?

Mon Apr 14 21:08:27 PDT 2008

Aloha all!

I just got a question from a local amateur radio guru who is looking
for help with Linux, CentOS and VOIP. I'm not sure if any of this is
within the realm of expertise of anyone here, but if there's any group
that might have some pointers, I imagine LUAU is it.

The below comes from Wayne of the Emergency Amateur Radio Club of
Hawaii (EARCHI), one of the groups coming to the Hawaii Geek Meet on
Sunday.  (What's the Hawaii Geek Meet? http://www.hawaiigeek.com Come
on down!)  I'd appreciate any pointers or suggestions you might have:

"We are in need of help, Chris NH7QH and I are very into D-Star
Digital Radio, digital radio uses rf repeaters connected to a gateway
through a lynex server using VOIP to talk around the world with other
gateways.  With that said the whole system works fine, however, Icom
has released what it calls gateway 2 which is supposed to be bigger
and better. Problem, gateway 2 uses centos 5.0/5.1, we have purchase 2
rack mount 1au and 2au servers to run this.  Neither Chris nor I are
very well versed on lynex and centos, everytime we attempt to install
according to the instructions the GUI fails which is something to do
with the video onboard that we can see and the other installs but the
mouse can't be seen making hard to move around. Do you or know anyone
that has any experience with centos 5.0/5.1?"

I asked if he could send along some of his hardware specs and he replied:

"Sure, it's an intel p4 3.0ghz with 2gb memory, on board graphics
e7221, 250gb sata drive.  When centos loads it probes for the graphics
card and fails to go into GUI window mode.  I have seen a question in
the scripts "can't access agp****" something, and is your video memory
to low.  That's about all I can tell you at this point."

Thoughts? Thanks, all!

Ryan