[LUAU] POSTFIX......

Clifton Royston cliftonr at iandicomputing.com
Thu Oct 18 11:34:56 PDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 04:35:44AM -0700, goku ball z wrote:
> Hi all, I have a question regarding postfix.
>
>   I was searching and reading some books about postfix.  But they really didn't get in to non unix email accounts.  So my question is...
>   Is there a way without using mysql database to create non unix email accounts?  I know that you can have many domains, but I am more concern about non unix email accounts...

  This is of course really a Postfix question, and as you get into more
detail you will probably need to try the postfix-users mailing list and
read it for a bit.  Also, if you have Postfix installed on your system
already, there should be a number of extensive man pages and README
files installed on your system answering a lot of questions relating to
this one.  Try "man 5 access" for instance, and search (depending on
your distro's preferred install place) /usr/share/doc/postfix, or
perhaps /usr/local/doc/postfix and look for VIRTUAL_README and
DATABASE_README.  Furthermore, there's the web documentation on the
http://www.postfix.org/ website.

  However, to save you some time the answer to your question is of
course yes.  In Postfix you can define virtual users with flat ASCII
files, with Berkeley DB files, with LDAP, with Postgres SQL, with CDB,
and with pretty nearly anything which has some kind of query or lookup
syntax.  What will be best for your situation depends entirely on your
situation and circumstances.

  A few words of caution:

  Installing mailserver software is easy, no harder than installing any
other piece of software.  Correctly administering, configuring, and
operating a mailserver, especially for the use of others besides
yourself, requires relatively advanced UNIX system administration and
troubleshooting skills.  That's been true for probably 20 years or
more, but it's even more so in this age of massive bot-net spam driven
by organized crime.

 If you don't configure your system from the outset with some carefully
configured and relatively sophisticated anti-spam measures, it would be
easy to start up and immediately get your users' mailboxes totally
flooded with spam to the point that it cripples your system.  (There
are also a lot of anti-spam "snake oil" solutions out there, such as
SAV and C/R systems which can get you into still more trouble.) I don't
mean to scare you off, but you should be aware of the hassles from the
outset.

  Hope this helps,
  -- Clifton

--