[LUAU] Re: [buug] nano help!!!!

Vince Hoang vince at litrium.com
Thu Oct 18 09:54:18 PDT 2007

On 10/16/07, Peter Besenbruch <prb at lava.net> wrote:

> > goku ball z wrote:
> >> setenv EDITOR/usr/local/bin/./nano  ( which didn't work )
> >> then I tried this also
> >> setenv EDITOR/usr/local/bin/nano  (which also didn't work)

Setting the EDITOR only helps when you use a program that calls an editor
such as crontab, mutt and pine.

> What about putting a link in /usr/bin to your Nano executable? I don't
> run Suse, but that's what Debian does. It's odd that they would put Nano
> in /usr/local/bin, as that usually isn't in the path. Try "man ln".
> Frankly, I find it easier to do links with Midnight Commander, sometimes
> called "mc."

It is a BSD thing to install packages under /usr/local, but since the
problem is on SuSE, I suspect in this case it was a local install from the
source package (sh configure && make && sudo make install).

NetOpsCenter wrote:
> > I run FreeBSD here in Hawaii,  but I added the LUAU list to this email.
> > Plenty local Linux users on it could maybe help you.
>
> Whatever works.

The solution is the same in both: fix the PATH. For tcsh, the OP will want
to add something like the following to your .tcshrc file:

set PATH = ($PATH /usr/local/bin)

Using a symlink will work too, but using a custom PATH will continue to work
for other local package installations.

-Vince