[LUAU] iptables question

Dave Burns tburns at hawaii.edu
Sat Nov 17 14:57:21 PST 2007

I am sort of fiddling with iptables and can't seem to get even
something simple working. The config below was intended to just make a
little blacklist containing two ip addresses and a mac address. I
wanted the firewall to drop anything from those three places,
otherwise just accept everything. It does not work. Stuff from a
machine using one of the ip addresses and the mac address is talking
with my DHCP server every 30 minutes, and it is talking back. Do I
need to set the default policy differently? Do I need to restart
iptables or something? I am running a flavor of redhat, and when I
restart iptables it sets up its own default config. Then I do iptables
-F and then set up as below. What am I doing wrong, besides fiddling
with something I do not understand?

mahalo,
Dave

[root at thepc ~]# iptables -L
Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
DROP       all  --  tmp4.hawaii.edu  anywhere
DROP       all  --  tmp9.hawaii.edu  anywhere
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
MAC 00:19:B9:E0:63:E0

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
DROP       all  --  tmp4.hawaii.edu  anywhere
DROP       all  --  tmp9.hawaii.edu  anywhere
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
MAC 00:19:B9:E0:63:E0

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)