[LUAU] Top 10 Best / Worst Cities For Software Developer Pay

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Sat Mar 24 03:47:50 PDT 2007

On Mar 23, 2007, at 5:56 PM, Maddog wrote:

> Jim,
>
> I think it's a perpetual chicken and egg thing. More companies
> would consider moving here if the talent pool existed and more
> software engineers would stimulate more growth of software companies.
>
> There are rich people here but it needs to be rich people that are
> interested in investing in tech companies. Most of our riches are
> invested in Real Estate. There is not very much venture capital here.

Thats because for the past several years, (starting in 2001, after
the dot-com crash), Real Estate has been a fairly good investment.

Here are the last ten years of stats for Oahu, based on the state
report, single-family homes only (no condos, though the condo picture
is worse!)

Year         Units	median		% change	%change
                  Sold	price		Unit Sales	price
							Year/Year	yr/yr
1997	2,025	$310,000
1998	2,495	$295,000	23.3%	- 4.8%
1999	2,855	$291,000	14.4%	 -1.1%
2000	3,181	$295,000	11.4%	   1.1%
2001	3.406	$299,900	  7.1%	   1.7%
2002	3,906	$335,000	14.7%	 11.7%
2003	4,419	$380,000	13.1%	 13.4%
2004	4,702	$460,000	  6.4%	 21.1%
2005	4,617	$590,000	 -1.8%	 28.3%
2006	4,041	$630,000     -12.5%	   6.8%

but look at what happened last year.   Home sales were down (a lot)
and prices mostly flattened.   Look around, the "for sale" signs are
back out, at least
over here on Windward Oahu.   If you graph median price .vs sales,
you'll see that we've 'nosed over'

Now, for those people who "get out" at or near the peak, what do they
do with their money?

Bigger house?    Some will, but who really wants a bigger, more
expensive house in a market that is flattening?
Eject to mainland?  Some will, but it sucks there.

Essentially there will soon be a largish pool of cash that needs
investing.   Yes, folks will need someplace 'new' to live, and
they'll spend some on that, but
the 'rich' people, the people who can fill out the rule 501 (and 505
or 506) paperwork, are the people who become the
"investors" (actually "limited partners")
in a VC fund.   The guys you meet when you go to pitch your idea are
typically the "general partners" or their lackeys.

(Perhaps you know all this, but I'll bet that some on the list don't.)

These people are going to find themselves with windfalls off their
real estate (if they're selling it and goodness knows, a lot of them
*are* selling it).  The Internet
did not cease when the dot-com bust happened.   They all use Google,
and some of them use (or at least know about) several "web 2.0"
companies (Flickr, last.fm,
Odeo, Delicious, Digg, reddit, twitter, ... skype, etc.)

I predict a flight to quality.

That said, there is only "so much" VC (and Angel capital) here.
Typically the firms in Hawaii aren't large enough to support a second
(or subsequent) round, other
than in a non-lead role.   This is the stage that crushes VC-funded
Hawaiian companies, as they are forced to go to California for a
lead, and the lead doesn't want to
have to travel to Hawaii for board meetings (etc), so they lead with
the proviso that the company relocates back to the mainland.

The idea then, is to avoid a second round.  Get bought, or get in the
black, early.

> Holy Crap Batman! Did Jim just agree with me?

Were you correct?