[LUAU] Re: Ethics & IMAP

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Fri Jun 29 15:47:50 PDT 2007

Angela Kahealani wrote:
> On Thursday, 2007-06-28 22:28:04 Jim Thompson wrote:
>> Angela Kahealani wrote:
>>> There are issues of ethics and privacy
>>> you presume I ignore.
>> eh?
>
> You have eyeballs.
> Your neighbors have windows.
> Do you ignore their privacy rights and go
> peeping into their windows to see what they're doing
> in the privacy of their own home?
> (legally: invasion of privacy)

Interesting dodge, attempting to put it on me.

Of course, reading people's minds is impossible in the physical reality
that most of us inhabit, and as such, not against the law.

> The entire internet, and all electronic products,
> the appropriate on-topic subjects of discussion
> in this forum, are soulless: pure mental creations;
> nothing there to read spiritually.

mathematics is "soulless"?

I'm not sure I want to live in your world.

>> You forgot to mention that it was developed (first) in Lisp...
>>
>> Or that it would have never happened if Crispin had "been aware" of
>> POP.
>
> He said that? IMAP does things POP can't do. You sure?

Yes, I'm sure.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.mail.misc/msg/5a5506cc28bcf2c?as_umsgid=Pine.LNX.4.50.0205302301250.1550-100000@shiva0.cac.washington.edu

Quoting:

IMAP was not created to replace POP2.  I was unaware of the existance of
POP when I invented IMAP.  This was fortunate.  I am sensitive to
accusations of "reinventing the wheel", and if I had known about POP I
would have used it (grumbling about its limitations all the way) and
IMAP would not have been invented.  By the time Jon Postel told me about
POP, IMAP was already well along and far superior.

(And yes, IMAP does many things that POP does not.  "Can't" is a
different color of creature, of course.)

Jim